Monday, November 12, 2012

Art Journal Page


I have a girl crush on Donna Downey. I love her artwork and I love her personality. I have been watching her Inspiration Wednesday videos. I also love watching art journal videos by Christy Tomlinson. Both these ladies inspire me to create. 
So I took some photos today of the page I made. 
Here are the "ingredients" I used to make my page.
My art journal is just a large hard cover book I found at my local Goodwill store for $1.99. I started out by adding Gesso to my pages. Then covered the whole shebang with Drywall tape for some cool texture. Then I added some random paint smears with my fingers (good times, good times). Then I added some water to black acrylic paint to water it down and dripped it down my pages. If I were Donna Downey I would call it dripage :) 
Here's my hand after adding the paints. Finger painting is just as much fun now as it was in Kindergarten. At some point I used a circle stencil (it is actually the surround left over from some circle tags) and sprayed some green alcohol ink over.
Next I made some flowers with this stuff called Metallic Streamers. I found it at Goodwill for 99 cents and it was half price ;) I just pleated and squished until I liked it and glued those puppies down. Then I added some red paint, inked some parts Black with Staz-on, and dotted them with more paint colors to add some texture and interest. Then I added some masking tape, which I ripped and crossed at the base of each flower just because I felt like it ;) 
I painted the stems and leaves on with a couple colors of green acrylic paint.

Here is a close-up of the flowers.
I decided the pages were too stark with so much white showing through so I added some teal paint that I watered down with water. I wanted to alter the color but not cover the other paint smears. Then I added some Yellow acrylic paint drips, some "grass" to the bottom and some white circles randomly on the pages. Next I added some black paint for the flowers' stamens.

I printed my quote on some copy paper, cut out the words and glued them to my pages with Mod Podge.

Next I went around all the word blocks with a black Conte Crayon thingy and smeared it with a dry paintbrush. I also dotted the stamens with white paint. Then I randomly doodled with a black Sharpie and added some black and white rub-ons wherever I decided it needed it. 
I stamped the date on the back of a ticket and adhered it to my page with masking tape.  

THanks for stopping by to take a look. Have a fantastic day!
Hugs, Dawn



No comments:

Post a Comment